Video contest terms and conditions
MEGACITIES SHORTDOCS VIDEO CONTEST TERMS AND CONDITIONS 2018 EDITION
NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN THE CONTEST.
Entry in this Contest constitutes your acceptance of these Terms and Conditions.
I- THE ORGANIZATION MEGACITIES-SHORTDOCS (MC-SD)
is a French non-governmental organization headquartered in Paris, with representatives in some of the megacities covered by the contest.
Téléphone: +33 (0)1 85 15 14 35
II- HOW TO ENTER THE CONTEST?
To enter the contest, access the “http://www.megacities-shortdocs.org” website and fill in the registration form online before July 15th, midnight French time. You will then receive the process to upload your short documentary film and other components to be proceeded before the 31st of July, midnight French time.
III- KEY DATES
- Applications are open from December 1st, 2017 to July 31st, 2018 before midnight that day, Paris time (UTC+2). The deadline to submit your short documentary film on the platform: shortfilmdepot.com is the 31st of July 2018. Please, register on our website: www.megacities-shortdocs.org , before the 15th of July 2018.
- Jury selection will occur between August 7th to August 31st, 2018.
- There will be an online public vote between August 5th, 2018 (midnight Paris time) and August 31st, 2018 (midnight Paris time).
- The Paris Award Ceremony will occur mid-October 2018.
- Festival and screenings will occur in a chosen number of megacities between November 2018 and the end of March 2019. The Award Ceremony in Paris mid October 2018, will conclude the 4th Edition.
There are two categories of ShortDocs:
- The Best Documentary – no longer than 4 minutes (including the closing credits).
- The Best Reportage – no longer than 4 minutes (including the closing credits).
The DocMaker should include in his/her short documentary film at least one of the 17 United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) categorized in one of the three sustainable development pillars to be chosen when filling the registration form. Be aware that the three pillars are interdependent and should be driven for the sake of sustainable development:
- Economic Initiative
Within this theme, the applicant will be able to highlight an initiative or a solution which include one of the following topics (UN SDGs) related to the economic pillar of sustainable development. By economy, we mean a solution that includes a viable initiative in terms of durability, inclusivity and equity:
- [Decent work and economic growth] – Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all (SDG 8),
- [Industry, innovation and infrastructure] – Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation (SDG 9),
- [Reduced inequalities] – Reduce inequality within and among countries (SDG 10),
- [Responsible consumption and production] – Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns (SDG 12).
- Social Impact Initiative
A social impact initiative is the development of solutions that answer individual basic needs and cohesion amongst communities or groups. The initiative should showcase one of the following SDGs topics:
- [Zero poverty] – End poverty in all its form everywhere (SDG 1),
- [Good Health and Well Being] – Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages (SDG 3),
- [Quality Education] – Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all (SDG 4),
- [Gender Equality] – Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls (SDG 5),
- [Sustainable Cities and Community] – Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable (SDG 11),
- [Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions] – Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels -Â (SDG 16),
- Environment Initiative
The ShortDoc will be in the environment initiative if it showcases a solution directly linked with the preservation of our planet and its resources. It should present one of the following SDGs topics:
- [Zero hunger] – End Hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture (SDG 2)
- [Clean water and sanitation] – Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all (SDG 6),
- [Affordable and Clean Energy] – Ensure access to affordable, reliable,Â sustainable and modern energy for all (SDG 7),
- [Climate Action] Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts -Â (SDG 13),
- [Life below water] – Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development (SDG 14),
- [Life on land] – Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss (SDG 15).
Applications can be made individually or with a group. If you are applying as a group, you must identify the team leader in the “Registration Form”.
Every submitted short documentary film must be self-produced by the DocMaker or his/her group. It can’t be produced by a production company.
V- SHORT DOCUMENTARY FILM PARTICIPATION RULES
-1- Contest Framework
- Purpose of the Short Documentary Film
The spirit of MC-SD’s contest is to outline a specific urban challenge AND existing solutions or possible answers or new ideas of perspective of solutions in megacities which could inspire the MegaCitizens community to kick off new projects, by duplicating or adapting the solutions they have seen, to the local needs of the megacity they are living in.
Short documentary films can’t only broadcast megacities’ challenges.
- Filming scenery
Building on two main reports, the UN world cities in 2016 data booklet and the Demographia World Urban Areas, 14th Annual Edition: 2018:04, MegaCities-ShortDocs decided to take into account 38 megacities. Filming must take place inside the urban area of one of these existing 38 megacities (metropolitan areas of more than 10 M. inhabitants).
The 38 megacities: Tokyo, Jakarta, Delhi, Seoul-Incheon, Manila, Mumbai, Karachi, Shanghai, New York, Sao Paulo, Beijing, Mexico City, Guangzhou-Foshan, Osaka-Kobe-Kyoto, Moscow, Dhaka, Cairo, Bangkok, Los Angeles, Kolkata, Buenos Aires, Tehran, Istanbul, Lagos, Shenzhen, Rio de Janeiro, Kinshasa, Tianjin, Lima, Paris, Chengdu, Lahore, London, Bangalore, Ho Chih Minh City, Nagoya, Chennai, Rhine-Ruhr.
- Classification inspired by the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals
The MCSD team will classify each short documentary film with one of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) developed and adopted by the United Nations in 2015, as part of their new sustainable agenda. We intend to contribute in achieving, at our level, their goals to end poverty, protect the planet, and ensure prosperity for all.
Source: United Nations SDGs
-2- Mandatory Components
Here is the list of elements that the DocMaker need to upload on the shortfilmdepot web platform (www.shortfilmdepot.com):
- the short documentary film must be less than 4mn and for a better quality on big screen, we recommend you Full HD format (1920×1080) encoded in h264 (.mov , .mp4).
- the short documentary film must include a title (30 characters maximum) and a description/summary (less than 300 characters) in the appropriate field. This summary will be considered in the final evaluation.
- the short documentary film must be uploaded with a high-quality thumbnail (JPG picture format 1600×1200) that best represent your subject. This picture might be used and published for general public release.
- the short documentary must have integrated subtitles in English. The font used must be: Gill Sans Bold and the size: 60 (ideally in white with black contours).
- the short documentary must include closing credits with the following information: DocMakers’ name, year of production, participants, stakeholders and location. Also mention the “initiative holder” presented in your short documentary, if any. When formal information is provided (statistics, data, quotes…), make sure to check the source and to mention it in the closing credits.
- you short documentary film should not be older than this date: 1st of January 2015.
- the DocMaker must send his student card or certificate (when applicable).
-3- Where and how to upload your ShortDoc?
Once your ShortDoc is ready, you will have to upload it on the shortfilmdepot platform: https://www.shortfilmdepot.com. Be aware that uploading your ShortDoc will cost you one stamp (shortfilmdepot’s means of payment) of 1.50 euros excluding tax to 3 euros excluding tax, depending on how many stamps you buy (x1, x5, x20, x50)).
On special circumstances, you may apply for reimbursement. Your inquiry must explain the reason of your claiming, attached the shortfilmdepot invoice and must be sent before August 15th, 2018. The MCSD Team will do its best effort to send you the money back through western union money transfer.
VI- JUDGING AND WINNER SELECTION
Be aware that a short documentary films sent after August 6th, 2018 (before midnight that day Paris UTC+2) won’t be accepted.
The selection process will take place from August 7th to August 31st, 2018. The objective is to identify the best short documentary films selected by a professional jury and by MegaCitizens through an online vote. The 15 (*) selected short documentary films would then be broadcasted during the Paris Award Ceremony and the local events in other megacities. During local events, the 3 best local short documentary film could also be broadcasted.
Public online vote will occur from August 10th until August 31st.
The voting will take place on the MC-SD Youtube channel. MegaCitizens can vote for each short documentary film by attributing them a “thumb up”.
A voter can only vote once for a given short documentary film and the “dislike” button won’t be taken into account for the votes. The short documentary with the maximum number of “likes” will be awarded as the Public Prize (with the agreement of MC-SD 2017 jury who is given the right of approval). To avoid any fraud, if the Jury don’t validate the 1st Public Prize, the second short documentary film with the highest amount of likes will be Awarded (previous years, the Jury always validated the Public Choice).
Please note that Youtube is MC-SD main video hoster in 2018 and previous edition and only host the short documentary film and contest. Information about YouTube Community Guidelines.
-1- Quality (esthetics) of the production and clarity of the message
The image, the sound, and the subtitles will be evaluated as well as the artistic and creative angle.
-2- The power of the proposals and solutions and its replicability
The realism of the shown proposals and/or existing solutions and its impact on the megacity and how it helps improving life of the urban dwellers will also serve as main criteria.
-3- Thumbnail, title and description
The title and description given will also be considered. The title must not exceed 30 characters and the description 300 characters, space included.
15 to 20 short documentary films are selected by a Jury of experienced film-makers and documentary professionals, representatives of NGO, urban planning specialists and experts in the technology field (as well as others local stakeholders). These 15 to 20 short documentary films should be screened at the Paris Award Ceremony and could also be screened at local events. The selected DocMakers must send a second version of their short documentary film without subtitles to adapt it for each screening (indicators will be sent using a file transfer application). Subtitles in other languages might be added by the MC-SD team.
Moreover, the selected “ShortDocMakers” will receive these awards:
- The “MC-SD Best Documentary Maker Award” – 4 mn long maximum and 1000€.
- The “MC-SD Best Reporting Maker Award” – 4 mn long maximum and 1000€.
- The “Best Student Film Director Award” – 4 mn long maximum and 1000€. The winner will be within the top 15 ranking and selected by the Jury.
- The “MC-SD Public Award” and 1000€. The winner is chosen mainly through Internet voters on the platform depending on how many people voted for their short documentary film and the given notes (decision to be agreed with the jury). This award represents 1000€.
The Jury will select the 4 best short documentary films from the TOP20 selection. If two ShortDocs won the same award or prize aexequo, the money amount will be divided equally in two.
The Jury will select the 4 best short documentary films from the TOP20 selection. These selected film makers will be invited to the Paris Award Ceremony (§): prize consist of one plane ticket per DocMaker from megacity of origin, where the film was filmed to Paris to assist the Festival ending mid-October and 3 nights in a Parisian Hotel. For a Parisian DocMaker, the reward would be a trip to New York with accommodation for 3 nights to join the local screening.
(§) Added Clarifying note : The film makers receive an email invite prior to the Paris Award Ceremony and need to proceed the needed administrative tasks to get their visa on time. No claim will be addressed to MC-SD in case the winner of the invite can’t get his/her visa, and the flight and hotel nights will not be compensated.
To get their Prize, the invited DocMakers are asked to shoot a part of their trip to Paris MCSD film festival. The film will be broadcasted on our social network (we don’t request a full film). The film must be more than 1 min long and no longer than 4 min long and must be sent before the end of the year 2018.
There will be one specific prize for the best “Start Up Tech For Good Initiatives for Sustainable Cities”. This time, this is not the film-maker who is awarded but the initiative shown. The Start Up owner will win 1000 euros for the Start Up development. The Start Up must be less than 5 years old before the 1st of January of the current edition.
The two best initiatives (social and/or environmental) in all solutions shown by the short documentary films applying to the contest will be awarded 1000 euros*.
The Best Short Documentary Film made by a young film-maker of less than 20 years old (must be less than 20 years old before 1st of January of the current edition), will be attributed a Special Mention of the Jury.
*For the prize, the 1000 euros will only be given to non profit initiatives. If it is a single person, he will have to send us a proof that the money is used for his initiative or project.
IX- GENERAL CONDITIONS
Video contest Terms and Conditions of Wednesday 28th of March 2018
MC-SD Administration has a right to modify the mentioned information anytime. In case of changes, the new information will be posted on our website. It is the responsibility of the participants to stay informed about possible changes (would be highlighted in blue). MC-SD Team will inform you of any change by mail.
Any information collected by registering to enter the contest shall be used by MC-SD only in a manner consistent with these Official Contest Rules.
By accepting the prize, the winner acknowledges that MC-SD neither made, nor are in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation or guarantee, express or implied in fact or in law relative to the prize or to any portion thereof.
If for any reason, the promotion is not capable of running as planned, including without limitation, any suspected evidence of tampering or technological corruption or if any portion of the contest is compromised by a virus, bugs, worms, fraud, strikes, terrorists acts, criminal acts of third parties, an insufficient number of qualified entries, or any other causes beyond MC-SD control whichÂ inÂ MC-SD Â soleÂ opinion,Â corrupts, threatens or impairs the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the promotion, MC-SD reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the contest at their sole discretion.
X- DATA PROTECTION
Any information collected by registering to enter the contest shall be used by MC-SD only in a manner consistent with these Official Contest Rules.
The data subject has a right to access its data collected. In addition, he also has a right of rectification, deletion and opposition to the processing of data about him if based on legitimate grounds, pursuant to the conditions stipulated by law no. 78-17 of the 6th of January 1978 modified in 2004 on computer information, files and civil liberties. To exercise this right, contact the MC-SD staff by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Participant declare that his/her short documentary doesnâ€™t violate the rights of any third parties or doesnâ€™t promote content that are of a violent, pornographic or libelous nature, more specifically, racist, xenophobic, pedophile, unhealthy or communitarian. Essentially, nothing detrimental to human dignity. No encouragement of criminal offence, war, crimes or crimes against humanity will be tolerated.
- Each submitted short documentary should not encourage the consumption of cigarettes, alcohol drinks, drugs or any other prohibited products.
- Participant declare that his/her short documentary film does not counterfeit from an industrial or intellectual property right or copyright, as an original work, a brand or a logo, neither mentioned any content subject to copyright and intellectual property right such as trademarks, photos, logos and banners without the prior approval of the owner. Participant certify that he/she has obtained all the publicity right to any persons who could be identified in the video.
- Participants declare that they hold all the copyrights, intellectual property rights and all other types of rights, or the authorizations required, for the film to participate in the MC-SD competition and for all other rights granted to MC-SD under the terms of the present regulations. Consequently, participants guarantee MC-SD against any claims, demands, suits, and actions taken against it by third parties on any grounds whatsoever, including, but not limited to, libel and defamation or invasion of privacy. Participants undertake to guarantee, compensate and hold harmless MC-SD against any expenses, in particular, expenses and fees related to court proceedings, and direct or indirect damage, as well as any sentences imposed on MC-SD or payment resulting from a settlement signed with the plaintiff. In addition, participants are reminded that failure to hold the rights and authorizations required for the film to participate in the MC-SD competition and for all other rights granted to MC-SD as referred to in the present article, may result in the application of criminal and civil penalties as provided by the law.
- Participant declare that his/her short documentary film comply with any current legislation and regulations in effect.
If MC-SD team identifies a non-compliance with these conditions, the short documentary film concerned will be disqualified from the contest. This decision belongs to the MC-SD judgment and if unfortunately, the short documentary film is disqualified, MC-SD’s team is committed to explain the non-compliancy reason to the DocMaker.
XII- TELEVISION BROADCASTING AND INTERNET
Participants give MC-SD free permission to reproduce and broadcast clips of the selected films presented in the Festival on terrestrial, digital, cable, satellite and ADSL television channels, on Internet sites, mobile telephony or by any other communication network. Any film could be displayed in the same format or only part of it (a% of the total duration) with or without subtitles, dubbed or with audio description. They can only be used as part of stories covering the Festival, TV or Web programs and interviews and/or promotional trailers or advertising for the Festival current or future editions. Permission for using these clips is granted for a 4-year period, starting on the date of submission of the film and is renewable by tacit agreement, unless terminated by recorded delivery mail at least 6 months before its term.
XIII- MISCELLANEOUS CONDITIONS
Failure to comply with these Terms & Conditions may result in disqualification from the Contest. MC-SD Contest Administration reserve the right to permanently disqualify any person it believes has intentionally violated these Terms & Conditions. Contest is subject to all country and local-city laws and regulations.
XIII- APPLICABLE LAW AND JURISDICTION
These Terms & Conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of France. The French courts shall have jurisdiction.